Brief History of AI
- 1950s: The term “artificial intelligence” was coined and early AI research focused on symbolic reasoning and human intelligence simulation.
- 1960s: Success in narrow domains led to optimism about achieving strong AI. Funding grew significantly.
- 1970s: The AI winter began as hype faded and funding dried up due to lack of major breakthroughs.
- 1980s: Expert systems became popular, mimicking human knowledge and reasoning processes for specialized domains.
- 1990s: Machine learning gained prominence with neural networks and algorithms that could learn from data.
- 2000s: AI entered mainstream with machine learning achieving unprecedented accuracy. Applications grew.
- Today: Deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision and AI ethics are active research areas.